- She was the ultimate rule breaker when it came to pattern:
During the minimalist 1990s, when monochrome and uninspiring interiors were all the rage Orla took inspiration from her childhood and created a world of colour and designed rule-breaking patterns that changed the game.
- She has her own postage stamp
Orla was given her own postage stamp by the Irish Government which is an amazing honour (she was the First Class Overseas stamp). The stamps featured a set of Irish designers such as Philip Treacy, John Rocha and Paul Costelloe.
- These are her rules on pattern (taken from her book) and they're sort of brilliant:
'A coward's guide to pattern
* Less is more – make it a focal point rather than going mad
* Don't assume brown is drab – it's a great base
* Try working with a family of colours, rather than opposites
* Rather than having a white backdrop, work with the colours in a favourite painting or object
* Link patterns by colour, but mix and match scale, coverage and weight to make it look deliberate'
4. The Duchess of Cambridge is a fan
With Kate Middleton being style icon of the decade she has inspired so many designers and fashionistas across the globe. Her undeniable sense of style is something we all wish to possess so if Kate loves it, we do too!
Kate Middleton wearing one of Orla Kiely's designs
Since we constantly adding new brands and designers we decided to add a little Orla to our lives.
Our new collection of Orla Products display her unique ability of working with pattern while offering protection.
To make these products even more appealing they're DUO packs which means you get 2 (and we all know 2 is better than 1!)
2 designs available for iPhone 6/6s & 2 designs available for iPhone 7!
Click my image to shop me